Re: X server will not shutdown

From: "Sascha Wildner" <saw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 08:40:36 +0200

------------QERHw4mhgPUfNlnxkk6BSS

On Wed, 29 May 2013 02:03:18 +0200, Gavin Reade <greadey@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Finally got X working on 3.4, it was a bit of a pain (mainly because I
> did not know what to do straight away). i started using dports straight
> away, and >did xorg -configure and used that config but x would not
> start.  My card is a Radeon RV280.  Did some reading and found I needed
> drm in the kernel, >which wasn't there by default.  Anyway after
> installing drm in the kernel startx worked and I got the minimal X
> working. So I have two questions, with >no drm in the kernel, dmesg
> reports my card as a generic vga, after installing drm at boot time via
> loader.conf, the card is still not detected.  Can >anyone tell me why or
> am I missing something obvious??  Also when I exit X via the window
> manager, all the window decoration disappears but X >won't shutdown and
> exit cleanly.  Why might this be?  Are the two things interconnected?

Can you check /var/run/dmesg.boot for "contigmalloc_map: failed size..."
errors? If present, you have to raise the reserve (setting vm.dma_reserved
as described in drm(4) manual page).

Sascha
------------QERHw4mhgPUfNlnxkk6BSS

------------QERHw4mhgPUfNltOqPC4P6

<!DOCTYPE html><html><head>
:13px}</style>
</head>
com&gt; wrote:<br><br><blockquote style=3D"margin: 0 0 0.80ex; border-le=
ft: #0000FF 2px solid; padding-left: 1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">Hi All,<div><=
br></div><div>Finally got X working on 3.4, it was a bit of a pain (main=
ly because I did not know what to do straight away). i started using dpo=
rts straight away, and did xorg -configure and used that config but x wo=
uld not start. &nbsp;My card is a Radeon RV280. &nbsp;Did some reading a=
nd found I needed drm in the kernel, which wasn't there by default. &nbs=
p;Anyway after installing drm in the kernel startx worked and I got the =
minimal X working. So I have two questions, with no drm in the kernel, d=
mesg reports my card as a generic vga, after installing drm at boot time=
 via loader.conf, the card is still not detected. &nbsp;Can anyone tell =
me why or am I missing something obvious?? &nbsp;Also when I exit X via =
the window manager, all the window decoration disappears but X won't shu=
tdown and exit cleanly. &nbsp;Why might this be? &nbsp;Are the two thing=
s interconnected?</div>
 for "contigmalloc_map: failed size..." errors? If present, you have to =
raise the reserve (setting vm.dma_reserved as described in drm(4) manual=
l>
------------QERHw4mhgPUfNltOqPC4P6--

------------QERHw4mhgPUfNlnxkk6BSS--