Re: polling opinions: how much QT3/KDE3.5 to preserve in dports this July?

From: John Marino <dragonflybsd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2013 13:54:37 +0200

On 6/2/2013 13:51, Francois Tigeot wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 02, 2013 at 01:41:53PM +0200, John Marino wrote:
>> On 6/2/2013 13:39, Francois Tigeot wrote:
>>>
>>> I meant /usr/local/kde4/bin has to be added to the default PATH.
>>>
>>> Having to type the complete path for binaries is an issue in my book;
>>> regular applications don't need it.
>>
>> IIRC putting this in the default path should not be done.  If .xinitrc
>> is correctly defined, the path is taken care of.
>>
>> Having to add this path is indicative of a user error (again, if I am
>> remembering correctly)
>
> Then kde3 should stay, its applications don't need special end-user
> manipulations to run.

By "special end-user manipulations" do you mean "read the manual"?
Because that's what we are saying -- follow the installation instructions.

Failure of the user to actually follow instructions should not be the
criteria for us to maintain dozens to hundreds of ports.  Acceptable
reasons should be on the merits of KDE3.