Re: [DPorts] The only packages available are for DragonFly 3.4

From: John Marino <dragonflybsd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 08:01:23 +0200

On 7/24/2013 05:46, Justin Sherrill wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:49 AM, John Marino <dragonflybsd@marino.st> wrote:
>> On 7/23/2013 16:36, Justin Sherrill wrote:
>>> How will people know to install that library?
>>>

> It's worth documenting both the caveat that 'native' packages aren't
> built for bleeding-edge and the method to grab release, probably on
> the dports page on the website and... in the dports manpage?  In the
> dports gitweb site FAQ?  I'm trying to think of the best coverage.

this is the current case, but when DragonFly project gets more hardware,
it will probably change.  Personally I want the previous release
packages to be used as long as possible, but if dev branch packages are
to be provided then we may have to review the whole even-number ABI
scheme.  I think we'll hit problems with say with packages built early
in a dev branch and those with the same exact version built later in a
branch with different libraries, ABI, etc.  That's why I don't favor
this approach, but dillon seems to.

> I really like the 'it just works' nature of using pkg, and I'd like to
> take advantage of it whenever possible.  I don't think poudriere
> builds incrementally yet, but when it does, a repeating build for the
> current version of DragonFly may be possible.

Poudriere does build incrementally.  This is not the issue.
We only push updates to the entire repository at once, not as they build
from FreeBSD.  For example, yesterday textproc/rasqal broke on dports
because of a curl update.  Had curl been pushed as soon as it built, it
would have broken basically everything KDE4.  But I'll fix rasqal and
restart the "staged" builds until most everything proves to build, and
only then does the entire set to pushed to dports master branch.  This
is how we avoid the breakage typically seen on pkgsrc.

However, between pushes dports master is static and continuous
incremental builds on a static repository don't do much.

John