DragonFly BSD
DragonFly bugs List (threaded) for 2005-03
[Date Prev][Date Next]  [Thread Prev][Thread Next]  [Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Firefox hangs in state 'kqread'

From: Laurent Sartran <lsartran@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:38:30 +0100

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:05:20 -0800 (PST), Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     Ok, that narrows the issue down.  Just yesterday my Mozilla browser
>     froze up for a good 5 seconds trying to lookup google.com, an address
>     I would not have expected to have any problems.  But it has only
>     happened once to me in the last few days.  
>     The question now is whether the DNS issue is due to a bug in DragonFly,
>     its libraries, or whether it is simply an internet glitch.  I somewhat
>     suspect that there is a software issue somewhere, but identifying it
>     is going to be a difficult task at best.
>     In your case it could simply be the DNS server you are connecting to.
>     One way to mitigate the problem (if that is what it turns out to be)
>     is to run a caching named on your local box rather then pointing your
>     resolver at your ISP's DNS server.  If you want to try that route take
>     a look at the README file in /etc/namedb on your DFly box for starter
>     instructions on setting up named.

Well, I had just set up pdnsd (a small caching name server) before reading 
your message... since I only need caching, and none of the advanced features 
of named, I think I will keep pdnsd.
Anyway, it has not made browsing much smoother. Maybe Opera has an internal 
DNS cache...

I have also recompiled -Stable dating from 02/22. But after the usual "make 
buildworld" and "make buildkernel", I only did "make installkernel", and 
rebooted, getting a -Stable kernel on a -CURRENT world.
(I know that is not something to do, but I could not resist...)
I checked if Opera would hang: it did.
Then, I did a "make installworld", rebooted, checked Opera: it did not hang, 
whatever I tried.

I am currently recompiling the latest -Stable to try the same thing, but I 
will not be able post the results before tomorrow. I will try with the latest
-CURRENT as well.

So I guess this is a userspace issue, and the problem is in the difference 
between -CURRENT and -Stable...



[Date Prev][Date Next]  [Thread Prev][Thread Next]  [Date Index][Thread Index]