DragonFly BSD
DragonFly docs List (threaded) for 2003-11

Re: Mailing list archive

From: "William A. Carrel" <william.a@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 18:08:04 -0800

In article <Xns94298F4B34A39justinshiningsilence@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> http://www.shiningsilence.com/mailarchive/
>
> I put together an archive of these lists (except test), updated hourly.
> It's for me to link to when doing log entries, and cause it's sometimes
> easier to browse threads after they finish.  So far, it seems to be
> working well.

It would make more sense to implement a simple nntp -> http gateway.
That is unless news.dragonflybsd.org is expiring articles so fast that
it isn't an option.  (I don't believe this is the case.)

One of the inherent advantages of NNTP is that it provides that archival
function (and usually search) just through the necessity of how it
works.  Not to mention the ability for administrators to cancel spam and
other contentless junk out of people's views (and hence the archive)
with no magic incantations.  You really can't do that with a mailing
list without a bunch of upfront work which as of yet hasn't been done.

There are a variety of tools available for gating nntp to http.  Some
are, of course, more attractive to look at than others.
"news.gmane.org" uses the "News-Portal" program.  For efficiency, such a
service should probably be hosted fairly close to the NNTP server.  (As
an aside, despite News-Portal being PHP-based it doesn't use the
built-in PHP NNTP toolset which (last I checked) uses libraries from
UW's pine, which doesn't exactly have a stellar security track record.)

In any case, such a service should likely be linked from the
www.dragonflybsd.org web pages in the forum section.
--
William A. Carrel