DragonFly BSD
DragonFly docs List (threaded) for 2005-05

Re: wiki main page fubard

From: Adrian Nida <nida@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 14:32:07 -0400

<Snip/>
Not sure if this option could be of use, but maybe: http://www.linux-tutorial.info/. On the right side, there is a login section that has the "Security Code:" picture and box to verify. I have seen more advanced pictures (almost too much so, to the point that it's hard to figure out what character it is), but this is the first one that came to mind.

HTH,
Kevin

It's a good thought, but I've read about spammers placing the security code pictures on the front-end of free pr0n sites. Then, they link the pictures to the words entered in by the "clients" into a database. Then, they take this info to get past the legitimate security codes.

Granted, we're probably not as attractive to spammers as say amazon, so we could probably use this for a while. I'm just trying to point out that because these spammers are using this for their income, they're very smart at getting through the hoops. Eventually it comes down to a balance between the benefits and hindrances of security. We might want to start determining how much security we're willing to put up with...

Adrian