DragonFly BSD
DragonFly docs List (threaded) for 2006-03

Re: mdoc DragonFly known version numbers

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 09:50:24 -0800 (PST)

:On 07-03-2006, Sascha Wildner <saw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
:> Well the problem with using releases is, what if I put in a feature now
:> and want to write the HISTORY section? Should I make up the version
:> number of the future release (my assumption could be wrong because Matt
:> might skip a minor release number, etc., so I'd have to change it again
:> when the number is official)?
:
:That's a point i didn't think of before: i tend to agree with you now.
:I just posted a modified patch to submit@ following the convention of
:2 digits for releases and 3 for development versions.
:
:Thanks,
:Francis.

    I tend to agree.  Three digit versions are only useful for a short
    period of time (like 6 months to a year).  After that they become a
    liability, adding confusion.  So just sticking with 2 digit version
    numbers is definitely the way to go.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>