Re: Remove BIND, Sendmail, Perl and etc from base?

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:56:04 -0700 (PDT)

:On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 13:53:43 +0200, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
:
:> Lately Jeremy Messenger told:
:>
:>> Good, have the ability of build the source (like ports) is great.
:>> Because, many apps have the options to enable or disable in the compile
:>> such as Gnome apps. For example, if I want AbiWord to compile with
:>> Gnome support.  If someone don't even want to have AbiWord with the
:>> Gnome support. I don't know how it works with Debian, I only use it for
:>> like a week long time ago.
:>
:> oh please, people, stop talking about debian. it has always been a PITA
:> to me.
:
:I didn't say anything about to copy Debian and I dislike Debian. I was
:just wondering how Debian does that get people happy without complain
:about all binaries are limited. But, I guess it's because Debian is
:creating too huge binaries database by abiword-gnome, abiword and
:abiword-plugins.
:
:--
:bsdforums.org 's moderator, mezz.
:

    Well, Debian makes people happy because of this:

    apt-get upgrade

    And "it just works".  It installs all available uprades for things
    you already have installed, it restarts servers that need restarting,
    it will even turn off nfs exports when installing a new nfs-kernel-server
    then turn them back on, etc.  At a minimum we would need to support
    similar functionality.

    FreeBSD's ports and pkg system doesn't even come close to the level
    of functionality that Debian's apt-get represents, and tools like
    portupgrade etc do not produce reliable results.  Every time I try
    to do a major upgrade of my installed ports on a FreeBSD box half
    of them wind up broken.

    That said, I believe that the FreeBSD ports infrastructure can be
    used as a basis for the model that we've been discussing.  I believe
    it is possible to create a much stricter environment for ports to
    be built, installed, and run in which properly maps and guarentees
    the myrid dependancies.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>