Re: High Performance File Systems

From: Chip Norkus <wd@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 23:36:55 -0500

On Monday 04 August 2003 10:58 pm, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Chip Norkus wrote:
> > What about HPFS? *grin*
>
> Actually... HPFS with softupdates would be very cool.

I was always a big HPFS fan actually, I just thought the subject was
pretty funny.  I never understood why Microsoft dumped HPFS in favor of
NTFS, as HPFS seemed superior and, I believe, they could have used it.
Then again I never understood why they didn't stick with OS/2, which
would have given them a high-performance multi-tasking multi-threaded
32-bit OS about ten years earlier.  It would be very neat if IBM released
design (or code!) for HPFS under a friendly license, although it might
not be viable since they've sold OS/2 to whoever it is who rebranded it
'eComStation.'

Anyways, a bit offtopic I guess.  Hey Matt, want a -chat list yet? ;)

>     Pedro.

-wd
--
chip norkus; renaissance hacker;                wd@xxxxxxxx