Re: sys/ tree re-structuring proposal

From: Munish Chopra <mchopra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 19:26:45 -0400

On 2003-08-05 17:43 -0500, Chip Norkus wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 August 2003 05:28 pm, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> >
> >     Heh heh.  Ok, major underestimation of the work involved.  This is
> > going to take a few days to do right.  Not only do 90+ directories have
> > to be moved, but it doesn't make sense to do all the work without also
> > getting rid of all the conditional compilation that allows things to be
> > compiled either as modules or directly into the kernel.
> >

> Have you considered giving subversion a test-run?  It works pretty much
> just like cvs from a command line interface, but actually lets you do
> versioned moves and that sort of thing.  If you're interested I can
> convert the current cvs tree to an svn tree and put it online for people
> to try out.

While I like subversion quite a bit to begin with, I'm honestly not sure
(even after my weekly perusal of issues) whether it's mature enough for
something of this scale.

Also, subversion doesn't have a cousin to cvsup (yes, I realize
subversion is much faster).

I do however believe that your proposal to put a svn tree online for
people to test-drive is a cool idea, who knows what we'll find. Shortly
ago there were still issues with the cvs2svn script though - have those
been resolved?

--
Munish Chopra