Re: Usernames > 16 characters

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 23:21:41 -0400

At 6:59 PM -0700 8/18/03, Matthew Dillon wrote:
Garance wrote:
:
: What would be best to do is finally implement the
: utmpx-related routines from POSIX/SingleUnixSpec.

    utmpx is not any better then utmp.  [...]   Something like
    the getpw*() function set is a far better API.  Those
    structures contain string pointers rather then embedded
    char arrays.

So whatever succeeds utmp it isn't going to be utmpx.

Huh. I had looked at the *utxent() routines several times, and somehow thought all the values were pointers to strings instead of fixed arrays. Looking closer, and checking on solaris and aix, I see I was wrong about that. Arg. Why did they go and do it that way?

Still, even that API would be better than having any programs
going directly to any specific file, wouldn't it?  Skip the
pututxline() routine, but provide the others?

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad@xxxxxxxxxxx