Re: slab allocator process report.

From: Timothy Wofford <explorer273@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 20:22:41 -0400

A question about the slab allocator. Did you write INTO the the slab allocator the undocumented items from malloc? Or did you use a type of wrapper or extra function call for these "gotchas" so that the slab allocator is consistent and those programs that need the other items get access/use of the slab allocator through the wrapper or whatever?
I'm curious as to not only what choice was made, BUT more importantly why that choice was made.

Thank You & Still learning

Timothy

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    I am making very good progress.   There have been a bunch of minor
    gotchas which are not documented in malloc()... things like malloc()
    being expected to return non-NULL when 0 bytes are allocated (ahc driver
    fails otherwise), and malloc() being expected to return power-of-2
    aligned data for power-of-2 sized requests (the tty code fails in weird
    ways otherwise).  For the moment I am trying to make the slab allocator
    work the same way that existing code expects malloc to.