Re: new sysinstall

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 09:23:15 -0700 (PDT)

:I'd rather see Python... its been done for years by RedHat [anaconda].
:
:What about TCL?

    I would discard 'TCL' (the core TCL) simply because it is not
    different enough from what one can do in /bin/sh.  It is only when
    TCL is augmented with something like TK that it becomes useful, and
    we can't use TK because we need an environment that works without X.

    If we are going to augment our /bin/sh scripting then we have to augment
    it with something that provides functionality that /bin/sh does not have.

    If RedHat has been using Python to good effect for system utilities and
    sysop supporting scripting then that is a good recommendation for
    Python, and from other messages posted to this list I no longer worry
    so much about version mismatches between base and package-installed
    Python revs.  All of our own scripts would explicitly path to a versioned
    python (e.g. #!/usr/local/bin/python2.2 or something similar)

    In fact, so many people seem more familiar with Python then Ruby that I
    think we should discard Ruby from our list of possibilities and move
    Python up a notch.