Re: new sysinstall

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 16:08:48 -0400

At 7:25 PM +0000 9/2/03, Tobias Weingartner wrote:
Matthew Dillon wrote:

Summary so far of "How to rewrite sysinstall".

 >     * Make CDRom #1 a fully live image, allowing the system
 >       to boot into a complete environment.  ...

This is a good thing...

 >     * Split a normal installation into two stages.
 >       Stage 1 is responsible for [...] and reboots.
 >       Stage 2 is responsible for [...]

I like this idea.  Especially the automated one... but if it
requires a reboot after stage 1, it defeats the purpose...  As
then I have to go fiddle with the bios 3 times for each machine
in order to get a lab full of computers up.

1) Enable CD-ROM & CD-ROM boot
2) Boot CD-ROM
3) Disable CD-ROM boot
4) Boot disk/install
5) Disable CD-ROM

Note that list is what you may have to do. My list is considerably different, due to our hardware and our requirements. I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to claim that extra reboot will defeat the purpose of everything else. And even with your list, I don't see why you do step 3 as step 3, instead of just waiting until step 5 to disable both things. Probably your hardware is just different than the hardware I'm used to. If you're doing a lab, I suspect you'd want to set up some server to handle all the stage 2 processing, so you could remove the CD after step #2 in your list.

In any case, I strongly hope that:
  1) dragonfly would also support some sort of net install,
     which avoids most of this issue.
  2) if you do boot up off the dragonfly CD, you will first
     see a prompt which allows you to switch the booting
     process from the CD to the just-installed hard disk.
     Me, I'd rather boot up directly from the hard disk just
     to make sure step #1 went OK, but if someone did boot
     up off the CD then they could still switch to the hard
     disk without having to reboot yet-again.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad@xxxxxxxxxxx