Re: sysinstall v2

From: Robert Garrett <rg70@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 16:54:31 -0500

Chris Pressey wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 15:14:49 -0500
> Robert Garrett <rg70@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> It looks like where we are at is...
>>
>> 1. RCNG scripts need to be taught how to tell rc.conf how
>>    to execute them.
>> 2. Apache needs to be brought in to the base.
>> 3. PHP4 needs to be brought in.
>> 4. Links/Elinks needs to brought in.
>>
>> This allows work to begin on the actual user interface design.
>>
>> 5. Break up make release so we have a bootable live intstallation
>> image.
>>

>> Is this a correct understanding of the discussion so far?
>
> I still have some questions.
>
> What does the NG in RCNG stand for?  I read the paper (the PDF file that
> was linked to a couple of messages back,) but it didn't mention "RCNG".
> (Basically it looks like FreeBSD's rc.d setup plus some appropriate
> abstractions, which I like very much.  And I still kinda like the idea
> of /etc/rc.d (maybe even /etc/ itself) being its own pseudo-filesystem
> mount fwiw.)
>
> And - why do Apache, PHP4, and [e]links need to be "in the base"?
> AFAICT they only need to be on the live CD.  The paranoid sysadmin in me
> cringes at the thought of not being able to uninstall them afterwards
> without crippling my system.
>
> Oh yes, one more thing: Matt wrote:
>
>>[ ] Start a shell on this console (for serial-console users).  A
>>full CD-based environment is available.
>
> I'm not sure at all how that would work.  I'm assuming, if you're on a
> serial console, [e]links would be run in text mode on that box - so
> selecting this link would AFAICT have to make [e]links quit and make a
> shell start.  If that's the case, I think it might be easier just to say
> that, if you're installing from a serial console, quit [e]links and
> you'll be dropped into a shell.  Or, present the option before [e]links
> is even started.  Or, I'm completely misunderstanding how this would
> work.
>
> -Chris
Next Generation, as compared to 4.8's in regards to the rcNG question.

Having apache installed doesn't mean it is running, and we certainly
could have a nob to keep it from being installed i.e. make.conf

the same is true of php4, [e]links, and python

there are several ways the shell on console could work, none of them
are difficult, or would interfere with pushing forward the development
proccess.

Robert Garrett