Re: sysinstall v2

From: Chris Pressey <cpressey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 15:17:32 -0700

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 16:54:31 -0500
Robert Garrett <rg70@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Having apache installed doesn't mean it is running, and we certainly
> could have a nob to keep it from being installed i.e. make.conf
>
> the same is true of php4, [e]links, and python

But having them installed *does* mean they take up disk space that could
be used for something I actually care about - and that they could be
*made* to run at some point, either accidentally or maliciously.

Basically, it's the principle of the thing: if it doesn't need to be
there, then it probably shouldn't be.

> there are several ways the shell on console could work, none of them
> are difficult, or would interfere with pushing forward the development
> proccess.

Nah, it's good, it's just the "making it happen when you click on a
hyperlink" thing that I'm not getting.  I was once with an ISP that used
Lynx as their dialup menu for users who couldn't handle a login shell.
They had a bunch of "make lynx do stuff" links on their pages for
starting Elm and so forth.  It was error-prone, security-hole-prone, and
just plain bad design... so I question the value of doing something like
that here, in case that's what was suggested.

If you're installing from a serial console, you can probably handle
just switching to VTY2, where there's already a shell.

One more note: if you're installing from a remote web browser, the
message that there's a shell on VTY2 should probably not be displayed :)

-Chris