Re: DragonFly Cross Reference Service

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:50:51 -0800 (PST)

:The kernel source trees now present on the site include:
:
:  FreeBSD 5.x-CURRENT	(HEAD)
:  FreeBSD 5.1		(RELENG_5_1)
:  FreeBSD 5.0		(RELENG_5_0)
:  FreeSBD 4.x-STABLE	(RELENG_4)
:  FreeBSD 4.9		(RELENG_4_9)
:  FreeBSD 3.x-STABLE	(RELENG_3)
:  Linux 2.4.22		(from tarball)
:  Linux 2.6.0-test9	(from tarball)
:  DragonFlyBSD		(HEAD)
:  OpenBSD		(HEAD)
:  OpenDarwin		(HEAD)
:
:I'm in the throes of adding NetBSD HEAD; each tree should be updated every
:few days.  I can add additional tags easily enough if there's interest.
:Don't worry about load for normal browsing purposes.
:
:Robert N M Watson             FreeBSD Core Team, TrustedBSD Projects
:robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx      Network Associates Laboratories

    This is great stuff!

    I have a suggestion... lets say you were digging into the source code
    somewhere and wanted to know whether the same function existed in other
    distributions.

    e.g. so for example when you push into a source file and click on the
    hotlink representing a function, instead of it just telling you who
    references that function within a single distribution it would also
    tell you who references that function, and the location of the function,
    in other distributions.

    e.g.

    Referenced (in 1 files total) in:

	* kern/kern_event.c
	    o line 94
	    o line 108
	    o line 192

    Function also found in:

	* FreeBSD-4.x kern/kern_event.c line blah [hotlink] [diff]
	* FreeBSD-current kern/kern_event.c line blah [hotlink] [diff]

    And, just to be absolutely insane about things, it would be cool to be
    able to diff a function between distributions.  Obviously it wouldn't
    be able to follow the history of a function that got renamed, but it
    would still be very cool.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>