Re: packaging system (was: Re: GCC 3.3.2 kernel)

From: ibotty <me@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 08:30:27 +0100

>>this is exactly what debian (and some rpm-distributions) do.
>>they just split the (one) package into three.
>
> You misread what I wrote.  Let me clarify:
>
> What I was aiming at was something like;
> [snip]
> pkg_install -o bin,doc portname
>
> which will install both the binaries and documentation, but not the
> header/development files.

i understand, but this is still what i meant, too.
i only argue, that one single package may be bad, due to bandwidth reasons
and such.

the package manager should still accept 'pkg_install -o bin,doc port', which
would be equivalent to 'pkg_install port-bin port-doc', if -doc and -bin
exist.

> make BIN=yes DOC=yes DEVEL=no all install clean (in ports speak)

when compiling from source, three different packages clearly make no
sense ;)
maybe you didnt thought so either.

i hope i did not cause too much confusion, as i am no native speaker (as you
might have noticed ;)

~ibotty