Re: Non-gcc compilers

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 11:30:07 -0800 (PST)

    I'm going through the other patch sets on your site as well.  I
    threw in the ntp patch set and am about to commit the stack
    alignment patch, though I will note that you should not have a '- 4'
    in there.  It is ok for the stack pointer to be aligned at the beginning
    of the next cache line because the first push will push into the end
    of the previous cache line, which is what you want.  And the '- 4' isn't
    machine independant.

    Also, newer gcc's use a masking operation on %esp instead of a subtract
    and do not actually need an aligned stack pointer to be optimal.  But
    it doesn't hurt so I will commit it anyway :-)