Re: K42 OS

From: David Leimbach <leimy2k@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 10:38:07 -0600

On Nov 20, 2003, at 10:24 AM, Michal Ostrowski wrote:

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 17:08:40 +0100, Max Laier wrote:

probably unrelated, but yet somewhat fitting the topic here. You
might also want to take a look at recent microkernel developments at
http://www.l4ka.org/ (which is a project of the university I am
attending). Although I am yet not into either system in-depth, I
recognize common ideas.

IBM was (and probably still is?) involved in this project with an
OS called SawMill running on top of it, so maybe you know it (and its
relations to your work?)

We have some close collaborations with l4, (though I don't know the details off-hand).

IIRC some architecture docs show L4 being tapped for ideas about some parts of the
kernel. I can only assume its related to message passing.

I also seem to remembe something about K42 using scheduler activations for its
threads. This seems more closely related to the KSE work being done in FBSD 5.x
than DragonFly.

Dave

The SawMill project is no more.

Michal Ostrowski