Re: Bind update

From: Galen Sampson <galen_sampson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:23:03 -0800

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:Do you envision all this being handled by daemons running as pure kernel :threads? It would be cool if DragonFly could have a standard API for :asynchronous DNS resolutions.
:
:And given all the discussion in FreeBSD-current in the last few days :about the changes to make /bin and /sbin dynamic so that NSS works :correctly, I would be interested how this could be better achieved in :the DragonFly world?
:
:Richard Coleman
:richardcoleman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No, the demon is definitely a job for userland. However, the kernel can certainly be responsible for providing naming, rendezvous services,
and message passing services for the IPC mechanism.

I'm developing along these lines. I actually already worked up a userland library to do IPC rendezvous but it became apparent that the
only right way is to implement the rendezvous in the kernel, so I've set
that aside and I am now putting together a syscall API to do the
naming, rendezvous, and message passing services for the IPC mechanism.

For those who aren't clear what rendezvous is could someone provide a link and/or explanation?

Regards,
Galen