Re: ATA errors.

From: YONETANI Tomokazu <qhwt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 09:51:16 +0900

Hello.

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 10:41:02PM +0000, Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
> David Cuthbert <dacut@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
> >> I know for a fact that ad0, and the cable, are both ATA100.  And I'm
> >> highly doubtful that there's anything actually wrong with the drive
> >> itself.
> >>
> >> Any idea if this might be something with the ata driver?
>
> > Even though the cable is rated ATA100, try replacing it.  I've had
> > mysterious errors along these lines vanish (which I attribute to either
> > a few too many kinks in the cable, flaky/oxidized connectors, cable
> > gnomes, ...).
>
> > In particular, I've had bad luck with the round cables they sell for
> > improved airflow.
>
> Well, I grabbed an un-open cable from work that came with some Western
> Digital drives we recently ordered, and I replaced the cable I was using
> at home.  Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem, so I'm pretty
> convinced this is a driver issue.
>
> Is there anyway I could try and debug this further?

Adam, have you tried FreeBSD-STABLE, whose kernel built with exactly
the same kernel config as DragonFly, on the same computer?
I've reported about the same ATA errors in the middle of this month
on kernel@, and later on bugs@. There're three DragonFly machines
I have access:

A. Dynabook: ATA66, 256Mbytes of main RAM, P-III 1.3GHz
B. Dell: ATA100, 256Mbytes of main RAM, P-IV 1.7GHz
C. Some SiS-MB based: ATA100/133, 512Mbytes of RAM, P-IV 2.4B

All three machines are ACPI capable and enabled in the kernel, and
none of them are SMP or HTT. All of them are running DragonFly from
source as of about a week ago.
And Only A and B exhibit the symptom. And on C I've never seen that
error messages. On A, I haven't seen the error message while doing
buildworld or buildkernel, only when doing fsck on largest partition,
even though this one is most actively used machine. And I've never seen
the error when running FreeBSD-STABLE on B.

At the moment, B is the only machine I can easily switch between
DragonFly and FreeBSD-STABLE; I have installed FreeBSD-stable base system
into /dev/ad0s1a and DragonFly base system into /dev/ad0s1d. If I have
time, I'm going to try different kernel config options to see if I can
narrow down which options are tickling kernel.