Re: More thinking securely...

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 13:31:32 -0800 (PST)

:> I wonder if this is something that we should do slowly as were doing with
:> some of the k&r type definition cleanups in the kernel as there is still a
:> considerable amount of code being pulled in from various
:> places(FreeBSD...).
:> Changing too many of these might slow down the import process for code, ex
:> the agp code from today....
:
:Good point.  In the short term patches could be maintained and then
:re-applied after an import from FreeBSD.  The long term solution is
:probably more of a philosophical one - how often do we import from FreeBSD?
:
:Cheers,
:Ryan

    I wouldn't worry about it too much.  While it is true that we are
    still importing a lot from FreeBSD, the volume is low enough that
    all we really need is a little script (to put in /usr/src/test?)
    which can be run in a source subdirectory which grep's out string calls
    that need to be fixed.

    Here are two little scripts I use *ALL* the time to search for things in
    the source tree.   They are invaluable.  The first one is used simply by
    typing 'search searchterms'.  I use the second one in the form
    'vi `pullout searchterms`'.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

#!/bin/csh
#
# /usr/local/bin/search

find . -type f -and -not -name '*.*o' -and -not -name '*.a' -and -not -name '*.kld' | fgrep -v ./compile | xargs egrep "$argv" | egrep -v 'Binary'

#!/bin/csh
#
# /usr/local/bin/pullout

/usr/local/bin/search $argv | awk -F : '{ print $1; }' | sort | uniq