Re: configuration files

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:06:12 -0800 (PST)

:> Off the top of my head I can't think of a good example for you --
:> atleast not one that cannot be equally well implimented with 'any'
:> config system (even windows registry).
:
:do not blame the concept,
:the windows registry has a nice hierarchical structure.
:if it would be used for only configuration (not that much garbage as com
:objects and such) it would be way more accepted.
:
:~ibotty

   Well, generally speaking, having everything in one file (or database) is
   a really bad idea.  I mean, it makes sense for certain things to be
   glommed together into one file... for example, enabling or disablling
   IPFW and so forth... all of that exists in one file, /etc/rc.conf.

   Microsoft's mistake was to try to put EVERYTHING ELSE in that same file
   too, 99% of which are things that only the one application needs or cares
   about.   That's a mistake, because the file obviously becomes:

	* Huge
	* Crufty (all sorts of odd stale junk winds up sticking around)
	* It's too easy for one application to improperly or mistakenly
	  modify the parameters of another.
	* Corruptable.  You corrupt that one file, and not only do ALL of
	  your applications start working, but short of restoring from a
	  backup there is no way to get the system even partially working
	  again due to the complexity of the information that got corrupted.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>