Changes/enhancements to non-kernel apps

From: Dave Cuthbert <dacut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 13:40:19 -0500

Just curious as to what people think about changing/enhancing apps in
(e.g.) /usr/bin that aren't critical to the kernel.

In particular, I'm working on some enhancements to yacc to allow
multiple copies of the same parser to coexist.  This is quite different
from the usual hack of allowing different parsers to coexist (changing
the yy- prefix to something else); basically, it entails wrapping the
various globals holding parser state into a struct.

I'm doing this in such a way that the modified yacc is backwards
compatible -- i.e., you have to #define YYPARSERCLASS with the name
of the struct in order to get the modified behavior.

Is this stuff appropriate for Dragonfly, or should I try putting it
elsewhere (FreeBSD, separate subfork, ...)?