Re: buildworld -j N issues

From: David Rhodus <drhodus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 22:50:48 -0500

On Mar 21, 2004, at 5:33 PM, David Cuthbert wrote:
Matthew Dillon wrote:
Some issues are cropping up with what I believe are buildworld -j N
bugs, due to the new scheduler ordering processes somewhat differently
then the old scheduler.

Hm... I think the problem is more serious than that. My builds are failing on any sleep statement (that is, /bin/sleep, the executable).

Indeed, '/bin/sleep 1' causes it to go off into lala-land, and truss is of no help.

The following test executable waits forever:

#include <unistd.h>
int main() { sleep(1); return 0; }

I am running on VMware, though.

David,

I think the problems you are seeing might be fixed in the
latest kernel as there was a small fall over still from the
timer changes. This was affecting the operational priority
values of programs because of time slice priories were
a little mixed up. Can you try and update to the latest kernel
build and see if that fixes the problem your seeing...

-DR