Re: working with vn_fullpath

To: Andrew Sporner <asporner@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Hiten Pandya <hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 21:20:20 +0100

Andrew Sporner wrote:

I am porting my VFS filesystem event stuff to dragonfly
and getting rid of some old workarounds.

I need to convert a vnode to it's pathname and I thought
logically that vn_fullpath() would be the right solution.

Unfortunately it fails with ENOENT.

Are there any specific rules to using this function?

When I restructured it from textvp_fullpath to vn_fullpath(), I also added a manual page to how vn_fullpath is supposed to function.

	Also, look at sys/kern/imgact_resident.c for more information
	on how this function is used, the procfs and linprocfs code
	too, which resides in sys/vfs/procfs and

	Basically, the one rule to keep in mind is that the vn_fullpath
	can only construct a pathname if *all* its namecache components
	are available, otherwise it returns ENOENT, naturally meaning
	it can't find one of the components.

Here is a link to the web manual page:

	Hope that answers your queries; otherwise, please do not
	hesitate to ask more questions if any! :-)