Re: Problem Booting RC1 CD - VMware

From: "Dylan A. Reinhold" <dylan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 19:29:27 -0700

Ivan Voras wrote:

Dylan A. Reinhold wrote:

I installed VMware 4.5.2 on my laptop, I was able to install FreeBSD 4.9 fine. When I went to install DF, the RC1 disk stops at "Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle". So I did the FreeBSD -> DF upgrade,

It's best to use IDE disk emulation with vmware & the BSDs. I don't know if SCSI disk emulation is the default in 4.5, but on 4.0, when using custom mode (without really customizing anything...), I usually end up with the IDE emulation.

It was set with IDE emulation, and to make sure I created another VM to make sure, same problem. FreeBSD - 4.9 still boots fine.
I was able to install FreeBSD -> DF upgrade and remove all SCSI options from the kernel and it will boot now.

With some help I got some output from the debugger. This is from the RC-1 disk.
http://dragonfly.ocnetworking.com/screen/scsi_lockup.bmp

Thanks,
Dylan