USB keyboard

From: Richard Tobin <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 23:37:16 +0100 (BST)

I gave up on my Vaio laptop, I'm now trying a Dell desktop machine.

If I boot with USB legacy emulation enabled, the keyboard doesn't work
at all once dragonfly is running.  If I boot with it disabled, it
works once dragonfly is running but not during boot (so I can't do
anything except the default boot).

I found some earlier discussion of this problem, but I don't
understand what is supposed to happen.  With legacy emulation
enabled, the keyboard is being detected twice:

ukbd0: Dell Dell USB Keyboard Hub, rev 1.10/2.00, addr 3, iclass 3/1
kbd1 at ukbd0
. ..
atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0
atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> flags 0x1 irq 1 on atkbdc0

and apparently the two are interfering with each other.

Presumably one of the following should happen:

 - when the USB keyboard is attached, legacy emulation should be turned
   off, or

 - if legacy emulation is enabled, the USB keyboard should not be
   attached.

Is controlling legacy emulation part of the USB standard?  Or is it
some proprietary feature of the USB controller and BIOS?

-- Richard