Re: USB keyboard

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 15:58:42 -0700 (PDT)

    It's a BIOS [mis]-feature.  The two are definitely interfering with
    each other so emulation should probably remain off.  The boot issue
    is a harder nut to crack.  When emulation is turned off does the
    keyboard still work when you are at the boot0 prompt (the blah blah F1>
    prompt) ?  i.e. if you hit the default key does it immediately move onto
    the next stage ?

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

:I gave up on my Vaio laptop, I'm now trying a Dell desktop machine.
:
:If I boot with USB legacy emulation enabled, the keyboard doesn't work
:at all once dragonfly is running.  If I boot with it disabled, it
:works once dragonfly is running but not during boot (so I can't do
:anything except the default boot).
:
:I found some earlier discussion of this problem, but I don't
:understand what is supposed to happen.  With legacy emulation
:enabled, the keyboard is being detected twice:
:
:ukbd0: Dell Dell USB Keyboard Hub, rev 1.10/2.00, addr 3, iclass 3/1
:kbd1 at ukbd0
:...
:atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0
:atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> flags 0x1 irq 1 on atkbdc0
:
:and apparently the two are interfering with each other.
:
:Presumably one of the following should happen:
:
: - when the USB keyboard is attached, legacy emulation should be turned
:   off, or
:
: - if legacy emulation is enabled, the USB keyboard should not be
:   attached.
:
:Is controlling legacy emulation part of the USB standard?  Or is it
:some proprietary feature of the USB controller and BIOS?
:
:-- Richard