Re: default smtpd

From: David Rhodus <sdrhodus@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 16:23:45 -0400

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 14:54:28 -0400, George Georgalis <george@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It seems every Linux/BSD has reoccuring wars with what MTA to use by
> default, everyone has their own ideas and licenses. For me, one of the
> first things I do with a box is run my scripts to rip out the existing
> smtpd and install my own preference.
>
> While a mail transfer mechanism is pretty much required with a base
> install, I don't think a full blown mail transfer agent is. I propose
> a default simple smtp forwarder which will listen to 127.0.0.1:25 and
> deliver locally or forward the connection to a local or isp smtpd, as
> configured.
>
> Will this cause anyone problems?
>
> // George

I think we will keep our current setup until we have the vfs layering
done and can more easily break things like different MTA's down into
coherent package sets.  As of right now one of the gentlemen that
works at Sendmail has agreed in helping to keep our current sendmail
install updated and configured.

--
                                            -David
                                            Steven David Rhodus