Re: Description of the Journaling topology

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 19:40:41 -0800 (PST)

:What if the journal is for an encrypted disk?  It would probably be
:desirable for the journal data to be encrypted in that case, especially
:if the stream was a socket to an offsite machine.  It might be necessary
:to store key data in the journal; depending on just how the encryption
:is done.
:
:(Sorry if this sounds like I'm playing devil's advocate.  I really meant
:to ask this question earlier, but I didn't really (and don't now) have
:the knowledge to ask it in a more detailed/helpful manner.)

    Well, that's a pretty good attempt but I would counter with: "But wouldn't
    it be easier just to have an application take the journaling stream and
    encrypt it?".  Remember, the journal is just a descriptor, it can point
    to anything, including a user program.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>