Re: libc changes and freebsd-4 compatible binaries

To: Hummel Tom <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Erik P. Skaalerud" <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 17:34:18 +0200

Hummel Tom wrote:
(1) Provide a port / package analog to misc/compat4x (misc/compatdf12 ?).
For the mean time, it could be automatically installed with the LiveCD.
(2) Push them as binaries into src/lib/compat or so and install them
with the normal world.

I strongly prefer (1), Matt prefers (2). The argument for (2) is the
self-contained nature of the CVS repo, the argument for (1) is less
bloat and that the same mechanism is used by FreeBSD. Once you have
all your packages converted, you can do a simple pkg_delete and be done.

IMHO a port is a good way out of this, it is simple to install, and keeps the whole thing optional.

Agreed. Keep it as a package on the CD, I prefer to keep things that I wont need out of the base system if I can.

- Erik