Re: Bug Tracking System [Was: Re: final thoughts - bug tracking system]

From: Bill Huey (hui) <billh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:23:34 -0700

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 10:57:09AM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     I'll have the web interface basically finished by wednesday, after
>     which I'll put it up and people can start playing around with
>     it and giving me feedback while I start working on the email interface.

Setting up a web driven applet, which is what you're doing, is a Java "hello
world" that takes no more than an 1/2 hour to get going. The DB backend for
Java is completely portable to any DB that you might choose as a default,
as well as presenting a common interface for accessing those DBs. The APIs
are mature and the JVM is rock solid reliable provided that you don't choose
a crappy platform to run it.

This is ignore the XML access inherant in Java which is also critical for DB.
Java is a very good system and it's kind of baffling why you have negative
feeling against it.

If you've choosen C as your development language, you might end up screwing
a bunch of folks up with an unmaintainable application. You have enough work
on your hands without being clouded by an NIH (not invented here) kind of
attitude.

That's my comments on the matter.

bill