Re: Bug Tracking System [Was: Re: final thoughts - bug tracking system]

From: Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 00:20:55 +0200

On Monday 19 September 2005 22:23, Bill Huey wrote:

[snip]

> If you've choosen C as your development language, you might end up screwing
> a bunch of folks up with an unmaintainable application. You have enough
> work on your hands without being clouded by an NIH (not invented here) kind
> of attitude.
>
> That's my comments on the matter.

Knowing Matt a little, he will not shoot us all in the foot, not even
relationally (get the pun?). I'm for one impressed with the efficiency he's
doing it.

And as for java, well, it might not be a solution for us _now_, at least not
yet. Sure, this could all be done better with managed code, but if a well
written C application does the trick too, then fine.

Do know that one advantage of doing this in C is, that it can be included into
the base system, at least the bug-reporting tools. Which leaves me one
question:

Matt, any reservations against using LGPL as the license to the backplane
database instead of GPL? With LGPL at least, the viralness of the GPL perse
doesn't affect any components linking with Backplane, and then parts of it
can be included into the base system (think bug-reporting utilities from the
command-line), while still forcing the freeness of the backplane components
(which is why you think of GPL, I assume) without "infecting" the rest of
base.

The GPL is bad for libraries IMNSHO. RMS (our favourite crackpot ;) once made
the (big) mistake of GPL'ing the readline library, with obvious
repercussions.

Cheers,
Emiel
--
Knock, knock!
 Who's there?

--
A visit to a strange place will bring fresh work.