Re: Bug Tracking System [Was: Re: final thoughts - bug tracking system]

From: Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 01:06:40 +0200

Carl Schmidt wrote:

[language evangelism and mostly offtopic banter snip]

Okay...guys (or maybe girls?)...who cares?

This is the *kernel* list. I don't know why the hell the bug tracking system
post made its way here in the first place. This is a completely stupid discussion
that you two ought to be having outside of the list. It's Matt's project, he
can do it in whatever language he wants to do it in. You are all *volunteers*,
you can come and go as you please. If you don't like the way things are going,
then I'm sure you can find a project that fits your needs, or perhaps start your
own, just as Matt did.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm here for a reason, because the project
interests me. I repeat: *the project* interests me.

Well said.

As sofar as Matt doing this in C, and as sofar this whole bugtracker bikeshed goes, who cares?

None of the presented options (of which some are very good, I must admit (language it's implemented in notwithstanding)) seem to be a perfect fit. But we do need a bug tracker _now_. Matt chose to scratch that itch and acted instead of cobbling about and nattering about which of the umpteen solutions are out there. So what if he's the project leader and head benevolent dictator for life and whatever title you can stick to him. You can't change what he wants to do.

Heck, maybe what Matt comes up with might suck as well, we'll see. You know what? He's almost done. Damage done. No turning back. I guess we're getting a Backplane powered bugtracking system written in C that uses HTML templates that may or may not be unicode safe or <insert whatever complaint>. If it doesn't work for us, we can always fall back to many alternatives (we discussed a lot of them).

Okay, it does seem a somewhat NIH-ish thing to do, and it's a typical Matt-Dillon-type stunt to pull (not that that's a totally bad thing), but for the desillusioned people: Hold on for a bit. This might just work. I for one just hope it will be better than GNATS ;)

I wouldn't still be lurking and occasionaly delurking around if I didn't think this project had promise. I still think it has.

Now stop this nonsense about something as trivial as an application that is in foundation just a glorified checklist of bugs that we need to solve. Can we get back to the kernel please?

Cheers,
Emiel