Re: FreeBSD-current 802_11 stack --> DragonFly_Preview

From: Freddie Cash <fcash-ml@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 15:08:31 -0700

On September 27, 2005 01:38 pm, Andrew Atrens wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> wpa supplicant / authenticator - I built them out of FreeBSD-ports a
> while back and the builds (and the progs too) just worked. I haven't
> been following too closely but I'm thinking they may be in the
> FreeBSD base system by now.

The wpa_supplicant program(s) has been integrated into the FreeBSD 6
base system and are now part of the source tree.

> wpa / dhcp integration - I see lots of yacking about this on the
> FreeBSD lists, but I haven't had time to look at what's going on with
> it over there. I'm thinking they've integrate this into their rc.
> system.

Correct.  And the dhclient script has been swapped with the one from
OpenBSD.  Both of these are now part of the RC system, and configuring
a WPA-enabled wireless interface is as simple as adding
ifconfig_ath0="WPA DHCP" to /etc/rc.conf.  All other configuration is
done in /etc/wpa_supplicant.  Works like a hot damn, and makes
connecting to multiple networks so much simpler (just add a separate
network={} stanze to /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf for each network you
connect to, and wpa_supplicant handles the rest for you).

--
Freddie Cash, CCNT CCLP        Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
School District 73             (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]