Re: How much of microkernel?

From: "Thomas E. Spanjaard" <tgen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 17:37:31 +0000

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:I've always been a fan of microkernel design and I would like to know :how much towards microkernel design do you have plans to go with :DragonFly? I know you will be incorporating VFS into userland which is :normally a feature of a microkernel, but where do you wanna go after :that, in regards to microkernelizing DragonFly? Drivers? TCP/IP? other :subsystems?
:Petr
Well, DragonFly is definitely not a microkernel. We forked off of
FreeBSD, after all, and that is a fairly monolithic kernel. I like
the microkernel concept but putting core elements of an operating
system into their own protection boxes result in fairly significant
performance issues.

I think L4 and Mungi have proven that doesn't have to be the case these days.

Cheers,
--
        Thomas E. Spanjaard
        tgen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx