Re: Plans for 1.8+ (2.0?)

From: "Stilyan Tsenov" <naylits@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 09:51:53 -0800

2007/2/1, Thomas E. Spanjaard <tgen@netphreax.net>
:> A snapshot of a filesystem needs support from the filesystem to be
snapshottable, e.g. temporary suspension of all activities on that
filesystem while the snapshot-taking is in-progress.

Let suppose the new DragonFly filesystem will support filesystem snapshots.I try to imagine how that will look to the user.The closest technologies we now have are union and null filesystems.The snapshotting filesystem will not be a single hierarchical namespace (directory tree),but more like with union(null) mounted parts of the tree,that looks like it is a single tree.Timestamped layers of the filesystem namespaces under the active namespace. That was the story considering an alone DF system.When I add it to a networked cluster ,with nodes which are synchronizing as much of the data as they can,I conclude that the whole cluster is supposed to operate as there is only one single filesystem namespace(the cluster filesystem namespace),and snapshots of older filesystems are only used for archiving and synchronization purposes.Am I right ?At least on the conceptual level? What about the data I don't want to share on that cluster namespace?Should I be able to use UFS or every other filesystem storing it ?Generally are we to be locked in this single clusterable filesystem solution ?