Re: Naive HAMMER question

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 23:55:29 +0000

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 10:51:30PM +0000, Bill Hacker wrote:
Note - page down - that most 'modern' fs allow a directory name to include:

'any valid byte but null'

Technically this is a bit more restricted, e.g. '/' is normally not allowed on Unix :-)

Joerg

Technically it is 'allowed' - essential even - just restricted to specialty use, hence my comment that the cited webpage was imperfect.

Note that the entries for *some* fs do list the oblique character (and others) as proscribed, but that most of those we use on any form of *n*x do not. I agree they should do - at least with qualifiers.

Ex: - is ntfs (just) more restrictive than UFS - or simply more accurately described on that webpage?

;-)

Bill