Re: HAMMER update 06-Feb-2008

From: Aggelos Economopoulos <aoiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 21:44:20 +0200

On Thursday 07 February 2008, Matthias Schmidt wrote:
> he,
>
> * Matthew Dillon wrote:
> >
> >     It will probably take a week or two to rewire the topology and another
> >     week or two to debug it.  Despite the massive rewiring, the new model
> >     is much, MUCH simpler then the old, and all the B-Tree code is retained
> >     (just extended to operate across the entire filesystem instead of just
> >     within a single cluster).
>
> I would propose to delay the 2.0 release a bit so that you have enough
> time to hack on that issue?!?  IMO its better to delay the release for
> some weeks and have a bit more stable HAMMER instead.

There's always the option of releasing a 1.12 version now (it's not like
there haven't been enough changes to justify a new release). The 2.0 release
is likely to get a lot of downloads, so I think shipping it with a pre-alpha
hammer is a waste of an opportunity to attract more people. Not to mention
that it's hard to put a time bound on this kind of development. So, let's
just admit that and ship 2.0 as soon as Matt declares it ready for beta
testing, regardless of what time of year it is. A real beta-state hammer
justifies a 2.0 release on its own IMHO. Also, this will let Matt work on
hammer without any tight deadlines.

Aggelos