Re: HAMMER update 06-Feb-2008

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 16:22:58 -0800 (PST)

:There's always the option of releasing a 1.12 version now (it's not like
:there haven't been enough changes to justify a new release). The 2.0 release
:is likely to get a lot of downloads, so I think shipping it with a pre-alpha
:hammer is a waste of an opportunity to attract more people. Not to mention
:that it's hard to put a time bound on this kind of development. So, let's
:just admit that and ship 2.0 as soon as Matt declares it ready for beta
:testing, regardless of what time of year it is. A real beta-state hammer
:justifies a 2.0 release on its own IMHO. Also, this will let Matt work on
:hammer without any tight deadlines.
:
:Aggelos

    Yes, and I've agonized over this very possibility.  Maybe the thing
    to do is to poll the people on kernel@.  HAMMER won't be ready for
    sure (things take however long they take), but the hardest part of it
    is working and stable and I'm just down to garbage collection and
    crash recovery.  Crazily enough, that is what all the major surgery
    yesterday, and the continuing work, is about.

    So what do people think?  Should this month's release be 1.12 or 2.0 ?

					<dillon@backplane.com>