Re: Globbing (was Re: HAMMER update 10-Feb-2008)

From: Michael Neumann <mneumann@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:37:49 +0100

Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
On Mon, February 11, 2008 7:25 pm, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:

We have a solution (file limit) that doesn't address the problem (rm
just doesn't work sometimes).

Wasn't one of the slogans for DragonFly "Dragging BSD Unix, kicking and
screaming, into the 21st century"?
Sorry, I don't follow you there. Could you elaborate?

We have two problems: - excess memory usage by handling too many files at once. - rm, ls, and other common programs will fail when handling many files.

xargs is a workaround for tiny memory spaces we don't have any more. I'm

I use xargs very often. I'd like to have a special pipe (lets assume it's called "|/" here) that works like xargs built-in.

find . -name "*.c" |/ rm -f "%"

Hehe, I'm not serious, but if this would be a built-in feature of /bin/sh, everyone would use it and no one would argue for increasing the
execv limit ;-)

Regards,

Michael