Re: User API still a goal?

From: Robert Luciani <rluciani@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 10:42:24 +0200

>     I think N:M is still desireable but what is needed is some sort of
>     official micro-threading API where the programmer has full knowledge
>     that a thread is a micro-thread, operating under different rules,
>     as part of a set of micro-threads opreating within a POSIX thread.

If the "micro threads" don't have to be POSIX compliant, aren't there
already many languages which provide plenty of concurrency within
threads? Some are even SMP aware and don't do stupid scheduling decisions.

Erlang, C++0x, compilers and virtual machines will probably be
responsible for providing the preferred concurrency abstractions of the
future. I think people are tired of "worrying" about concurrency.