Re: HAMMER update 11-June-2008

From: Aggelos Economopoulos <aoiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:59:15 +0300

On Friday 13 June 2008, Dmitri Nikulin wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Matthew Dillon
> <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> wrote:
> > (Lots of awesome things)
>
> This is really great to hear. Making a new filesystem from scratch is
> hard enough already, and you've done it quite successfully on your
> own, within the limitations of the current DragonFly kernel. I dearly
> hope this gets even higher mindshare than DragonFly itself, because it
> obviously has the potential to be highly useful on other systems as
> well.
>
> By the way, have you looked into POHMELFS? I don't know if it's really
> the same kind of design as HAMMER, but it does solve some similar
> problems and is also a pretty strong performer.

POHMELFS (http://tservice.net.ru/~s0mbre/old/?section=projects&item=pohmelfs)
is a network filesystem, thus not very similar to HAMMER (and the performance
measurements vary a lot as Evgeniy Polyakov adds/removes features). A very
interesting project anyway.

You were probably thinking of btrfs
(http://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page) on top of which Zach Brown
and friends are building crfs (http://oss.oracle.com/projects/crfs/). These
two seem to be moving in the direction Matt wants to take. Unfortunately I
don't have the time to follow their development (only so many hours in a
day).

HTH,
Aggelos