Re: Port DragonFly to Xen platform

From: "Edward O'Callaghan" <eocallaghan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:20:42 +1100

G'Day,

As a side effect of this, will interrupt routing need to be fixed? May
I assume this is a Xen DomU port only and not a Dom0 ?
Also, I am looking at doing the NUMA project (investigation stage) so
that could work with a Xen port nicely.
I, myself look forward to a Xen port !

Cheers,
Edward.

On 24 March 2010 07:40, Sylvestre Gallon <ccna.syl@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 3:18 AM, Chris Turner
> <c.turner@199technologies.org> wrote:
>> Sylvestre Gallon wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm writing about the google summer of code 2010. Indeed, I would be
>>> very interested in being a part of it and would love to be involved in
>>> the xen project.
>>
>> Idea w/r/t virtualization -
>>
>> Wouldn't it be way cooler if dragonfly had it's own KVM-like implementaiton
>> that was implemented in a vkernel-like fashion?
>>
>> started digging around in the VT-x instruction set a while back,
>> didn't get anywhere (Aach time!) - with the goal of writing a kernel module
>> that added a syscall that added 2 numbers in a separate
>> virtual machine..
>>
>> which could then form the basis of bootstrapping further..
>>
>> seems to me like the VMspace API could be remapped to work against
>> the virtual machine instructions with not too much glue-code + ASM
>> stubs..
>>
>> etc, etc...
>>
>> rather than supporting xen, which seems to be a much more complicated
>> integration..
>>
>> this is all highly speculative, however..
>>
>> hmm.
>>

> It could be a very interesting project, but I don't think that this
> project and the xen ports are exclusive,
>
> For the moment I have just had a quick look at linux kvm and at VTX
> instructions.
>
> It's not that I am not up to it or that I think that I am not able to
> do it, but I will probably need more help and more mentoring to
> implement a kvm-like subsystem than to port dragonflybsd to xen.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Sylvestre Gallon

Edward O'Callaghan