Re: gsoc 2011 : about virtio drivers

From: Stéphanie Ouillon <stephanie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 11:07:56 +0100

Hello Aggelos,

thank you for your answer and the details. I had also notices the two other projects you mention, so I'll keep on reading and I will surely ask some questions about it soon :) But I keep an eye on the virtio project too. I'm willing to learn as much as possible, so each project seems interesting!

I'm inexperienced in the domain of device drivers but I'm willing to learn as much as possible and I am interested in some of the projects you describe in your gsoc project list, in particular virtio drivers implementation. I have begun to get some information about it. Can you point me some links or some documentation to read about it (apart from the ones indicated in the project list) ?

Unfortunately that's the only documentation I'm aware of that is specific to virtio. With regard to driver writing, I can recommend http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/. While our APIs are completely different to Linux's, the principles are similar for almost all monolithic OS drivers. Especially the parts about synchronization and race conditions are a must-read if you want to get into driver development.

Thank you for the information :)

Regards,

Stéphanie