Re: DragonFly versioning plan

From: Justin Sherrill <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 22:18:09 -0400

What I'm thinking is that we have a rolling release, as other systems
have done.  If you run current, it's marked with the day of build,
perhaps, but it's a new build of the installer every day.  We have
people doing that now.

If we move to a year+ for the stable release, there's only one thing
to MFC to.  We wouldn't have as frequent press for version releases,
but I don't think that's a very effective attention-getter; I'd rather
trumpet new features.  We also don't have a lot of differentiation
between minor versions right now, either, which also makes it less
effective as an attention-getter.

Scheduling the next release date way ahead of time makes it a bit
easier to plan.

I'm OK with still building package sets for two different releases.
Packages built on the stable release will no longer put out a cosmetic
complaint about version number when installed on a release with the
same major number, so they can go on the -current build too, as long
as we don't have an ABI change.  (thanks to ... David Brownlee?  I
forget which pkgsrc developer fixed this up, but it's appreciated.)
We could even default the binary install to the pkgsrc quarterly
release on -current too, if that's too bleeding-edge otherwise.  If
the pkg_install issue gets changed/fixed, rolling builds of
pkgsrc-quarterly would be possible too, which would really make things
easier - 1 full rebuild per DragonFly release, instead of 4-6 per
year, depending on when pkgsrc and DragonFly releases happen.

Instead of building quarterly packages for stable and current
DragonFly as I do now, I'd build quarterly packages for stable and
pkgsrc-current for -current, which is more valuable.  (As Sascha has
pointed out to me, quite correctly, several times.)

So our work level would be less releases, but more attention to MFC.
We can't get around more MFC because we just plain don't do it much
now.  Bulk building load would be close to the same, but it would
hopefully find problems sooner because pkgsrc-current would be built
and reported on, more often.  I suppose I'd feel much more effective,
which goes a long way towards reducing apparent work load.