Re: Risk-value assessment of applying for SoC

From: Justin Sherrill <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 21:06:19 -0400

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 8:41 PM, Flava <hasselhaugh@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi mailing list,
> Because I'm busy this time of year and I don't want to waste anyone else's
> time either, I want to list my credentials and humbly ask if I should even
> bother applying. I'm concerned about this question because my only formal

Samuel's points are all correct.  I'd add that the application
process, where you have to write out exactly what you are going to do,
and the schedule for doing it, can help a lot.  Breaking the large
task down into smaller parts will give you a much better idea of how
easy (or not easy) it will be to do.

I don't see projects fail from lack of skill; when projects fail it's
almost always because the student fell behind for a week or two and
then never quite catches up.  If you can make a schedule and stick to
it for everything you know you can do, it will pass.

Get an application together and put it in for feedback, and see where
it goes.  If this isn't for you, the application process will tell you
that better than anything.