Re: DragonFly 3.4 release planning

From: Francois Tigeot <ftigeot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 09:29:26 +0200

On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 11:29:38AM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     The normal DragonFly setup puts /usr in / anyway.  We haven't had a
>     separate /usr in a long time.

I have the impression the installer still puts / and /usr in different mount

I have a fully useable dynamic root branch visible here:

Most of the commits were needed to move a few things to /lib and /libexec to
support the / and /usr distinction.
I kept a few binaries statically linked, mainly to avoid moving the various
pthreads implementations to /lib .
>     Given a choice, I'd rather not impose any additional mess here and
>     just stick with /usr/lib for everything, including /bin and /sbin,
>     and not allow /usr to be a separate mount from /.
>     make installworld could check for the case and refuse to install if
>     /usr is on a different mount from /.

That's probably fine, the real distinction is between /+/usr and /usr/local
or /usr/pkg nowadays.

I like it when things are kept simple and easy to understand.

In that vein, I don't think it's worth it to implement some complicated scheme
in /boot.

Francois Tigeot